- 250g whole chestnuts
- 70g porcini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 25g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 150g smoked pancetta, cut into strips (lardons can be used as an alternative)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 500g Italian spicy sausage - casing removed.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 100ml chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 200c. With a small sharp knife, cut a small x in the shells of the chestnuts. Bring a pot of water to a boil and boil the chestnuts for 15 minutes, then spread on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop the chestnuts and set them aside. Reduce oven temperature to 160c.
- In a large frying pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender and add the oregano, pancetta, mushrooms and garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the ingredients from the pan and mix in the chestnuts, sausage meat, panko (reserving 1/4 to sprinkle on top), parsley, egg, pepper, and salt. Do this until the mixture is well mixed. The best method for this is by hand, so you may want to wear a glove. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
- Transfer the bread mixture to an appropriately-sized ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumbs. Cover with foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
- For an extra indulgent stuffing, add freshly shaved white truffle or truffle oil.
- To prepare in advance, cook as directed except do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 160c. Remove plastic wrap; bake as directed.
- You can also use this recipe for turkey stuffing.
Recipe by Samantha Cook (https://www.instagram.com/the.greedyone)